Poland. Facts about the city of Szydlowiec

The smallest traveler in the world visited another Polish city. Get to know Szydlowiec. Ciekawostki

Interesting facts about Szydlowiec

1) With over 12,000 inhabitants, Szydlowiec is located on the Korzeniowka River, between the cities of Radom and Skarzysko-Kamienna.

2) The village was founded in the 12th century and received city rights in 1427. Szydlowiec was probably founded by settlers from the town of Szydlowo.

3) Szydlowiec quarries are former excavations. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Szydlowiec sandstone was a popular building material.

4) From the former splendor of the city, from the times of the  Szydlowiecki and Radziwiłł families, the town hall building, the Catholic church and the castle have survived to this day.

5) In the middle of Szydlowiec’s market square there is a late-Renaissance town hall, built in the 17th century. Then it was rebuilt several times. In front of the town hall building there is a pillory – a late-Renaissance column made of  Szydlowiec sandstone.

Castle and monuments of Szydlowiec

6) In the place of the wooden stronghold, in the years 1470-1480, Stanislaw  Szydlowiecki built a castle on an artificial island. In the years 1515-1526 it was rebuilt and gained the Renaissance style. In the 19th century, it was a beer warehouse, and then fell into disrepair. Currently, it houses the Cultural Center.

7) The Gothic Church of Saint Sigismund was built in the 15th-16th century. It is one of the best preserved late Renaissance monuments in Poland. The church was built using white sandstone, and the current interior design is renaissance in nature. Interesting fact: for some time there was a prison under the church tower.

8) There are a number of historic tenement houses in  Szydlowiec. They are located at the Great Market Square, at Radomska Street and 1 Maja Street.

9) At Garbarska Street there is a Jewish synagogue built in 1730. It served its function until World War II.

10) The monument to Tadeusz Kosciuszko was erected in 1921. It stands in the southern part of the Great Market Square.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *