If you are a homeowner, you know how important it is to make sure that your roof is always in good shape. Use the following article to help any roofing questions you may have. Never hire a roofing contractor that can not supply you with a list of satisfied customers. Having a roof repaired or replaced can be expensive. Additionally, if they do not do quality work it could lead to water damage inside of your home. Be cautious and always ask for references before hiring a roofer. Get Your Roof Repaired With These Ideas
Tips and Tricks:
- When it rains, check your attic for leaks. Not every leak will make it down to your ceilings, so there is no harm in heading upstairs to check out what is going on. If you do this a few times per year, you can stave off massive repair bills for unnoticed problems.
- Make sure the roofing contractor you hire is trained and skilled. Ask your friends and family for recommendations if you know they have hired someone in the past. Hiring the wrong contractor can cause untold damages and distress.
- Conduct a thorough roof inspection over the entire surface, so you do not miss any problem areas. The material should be bonded well, and fasteners are secured. If you want to work on a certain area, the material must be clean and dry. Be safe when working on the roof to avoid injury.
- Your roof’s age can indicate if it needs replacing. Most roofs only have twenty years or so before they must be replaced. If your roof was installed on top of an old roof, you really have no choice once twenty years has passed but to replace it.
- When you see that your shingles are curling up or even buckling, it is time for a new roof. While it may seem like a small problem to start, once one shingle curls, the rest will quickly follow. Have them all replaced to ensure you don’t have and problems with leaks.
What to do:
- If you plan on working on your roof yourself, make sure that you take the proper precautions before you begin. Perhaps the most important thing for you to remember is to wear rubber soled shoes. This will prevent your from slipping as it will provide a stable footing as you work.
- Don’t ever paint your roof, no matter how much you think it will improve in appearance. Older shingles may crack, look dark and otherwise take away from the beauty of your home, however; painting causes serious and permanent damage to the roofing system. Simply replace the old tiles or have the whole roof done, or wait until you can, rather than trying paint.
- If your roof is leaking, you first need to climb up onto your home’s attic. Use a flashlight to search along your ceiling rafters to check for watermarks. Watermarks will show you the location of the leak. Keep in mind that the area you need to repair will be approximately two or three feet above the watermark. Once you find the source of the problem, check your roof decking for damage. If it has been severely damaged, you need to call a professional. Otherwise, you should be able to fix the leaky roof yourself.
- If you are looking to have a roof installed which will last the test of time, consider slate. These roofs often last over a century! You must have very strong trusses in place to support such a heavy roof, but when you invest in this material, you really get bang for your buck!
If your roof is leaking, check your gutters before calling a professional. A common leaky-roof cause is clogged gutters. The reason for this is because these gutters can cause water buildup whenever it rains. Therefore, if you clean your gutters, you may be able to resolve your leaky roof. This can save you a lot of unnecessary money because you won’t have to hire a professional. A roof that is in good shape will ensure that you and your family are always safe. It will also keep the rest of your house protected too. Be sure and use the advice mentioned above to help you with any and all your roofing concerns. You’ll be glad you did.